Commissioner of the Revenue
Welcome to the web site for Wise County's Commissioner of the Revenue.
My Staff and I have designed this site for the convenient use of our taxpaying citizens. Visitors have access to all the same property information that can be found in public records at the Wise County Courthouse. Rest assured that all private information is confidentially withheld from the general public.
We are continually committed to empowering our citizens through interactive technology. By utilizing this website, taxpayers will be able to save time and money as they navigate their way to the information needed.
It is a great honor and pleasure to serve you!
FROM THE COMMISSIONER
- The Virginia Department of Taxation link below will help taxpayers determine eligibility for this year’s income tax rebate. If you have questions, don’t hesitate to give us a call. https://www.individual.tax.virginia.gov/IOP/#/rebate/rebateStatus
- Information about your vehicle assessment for 2022… Values for used vehicles are determined by the recognized pricing guide JD Power (formerly NADA). My office has used this pricing guide for over 20 years. Your car assessment (value) is, and has always been, based upon the lowest value in the pricing guide (clean loan value).
JD Power Valuation Services 2022 Used Car Values Projection (January 2022) “ …We are expecting values for all vehicles up to eight years in age to climb as high as 46% in Jan 2022 compared to Jan 2021. Additionally, if you look at full year 2020 versus 2021, prices look like they will end the year 39% higher on a year-over-year basis.”
1. IF YOU FEEL YOUR VEHICLE IS NOT ASSESSED CORRECTLY, YOU MAY APPLY TO THE COMMISSIONER FOR CORRECTION OF THE ASSESSMENT PURSUANT TO VIRGINIA CODE SECTION 58.1-3980. IN ORDER TO DO SO, THE VEHICLE MUST BE APPRAISED BY ONE EXPERT (CAR DEALER, AUTO MECHANIC, OR INSURANCE APPRAISER.) YOU MUST PRESENT TO THE COMMISSIONER THE WRITTEN APPRAISAL OF THE VEHICLE.
2. THE COMMISSIONER WILL GLADLY ACCEPT AN APPRAISAL – IT MUST INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
- It must be on the letterhead of the appraiser.
- It must include the phone number, address and signature of the appraiser.
- The appraisal must state what the condition of the vehicle was on January 1 of the tax year for which the assessment is being questioned.
- The appraisal must specify what is particularly wrong with the vehicle which makes it worth less than the average loan value in the J.D. Power Appraisal Guide, i.e. extent of rust, extent of body damage, absence of engine, etc.
- The appraisal must list each item that was probably wrong with the vehicle on January 1 and the amount deducted from the average loan value of each item.
3. WE WILL BE GLAD TO EMAIL OR MAIL THE APPLICATION FOR CORRECTION OF ASSESSMENT. YOU CAN ALSO COMPLETE THE APPLICATION FOR ADMINISTRATIVE APPEAL OF LOCAL MOBILE PROPERTY ONLINE. THIS FORM ALONG WITH THE APPRAISAL SHOULD BE RETURNED TO THE COMMISSIONER. THE COMMISSIONER WILL REVIEW THE APPRAISAL AND NOTIFY THE TAXPAYER IF AN ADJUSTMENT CAN BE MADE.
Responsibilities of the Commissioner of the Revenue
- Accurately maintaining and updating real estate and personal property records
- Ensuring the tax burden is fairly shared by all citizens
- Fair Market Value Assessment of all taxable property in Wise County
- Real Estate Tax Relief Assistance for Senior and Disabled citizens as well as 100% Service Connected Disabled Veterans
- State and Federal Income Tax Assistance