To manage and coordinate the County's emergency response efforts in times of natural disasters, hazardous material spills and other events/hazards that could pose a danger to the citizens of Wise County or the public in general.
Emergency Operations Plan
The Wise County Emergency Operations Plan (EOP) consists of a Basic Plan followed by the Emergency Support Functions, Support Annexes, and finally Incident Annexes. The purpose of the Basic Plan is to establish the legal and organizational basis for operations in Wise County to effectively respond to and recover from all-hazards disasters and/or emergency situations.
Revised EOP Adoption
The revised EOP was adopted by the Wise County Board of Supervisors at their May 13, 2021 regular meeting.
Designated Emergency Shelters
The following locations have been designated as emergency shelters in the event of natural disasters, weather related emergency conditions or other events/hazards that could pose a danger to the public:
- Appalachia High School Gym: 205 Lee Street, Appalachia, VA
Big Stone Gap
- Carnes Gym at Big Stone Gap Town Hall: 505 E 5th Street, Big Stone Gap, VA
- Powell Valley Primary School: 2945 2nd Avenue E, Big Stone Gap, VA
- Union High School: 2 Champions Avenue, Big Stone Gap, VA
- Coeburn Middle School: 518 Centre Avenue NE, Coeburn, VA
- J W Adams Combined School: 10824 Orby Cantrell Highway, Pound, VA
- St. Paul Elementary School: 3200 Deacon Drive, St. Paul, VA
- Central High School: 5000 Warrior Drive, Norton, VA
- Wise Fire Department Building: 307 Norton Road, Wise, VA
- Wise Primary School: 323 Railroad Avenue SE, Wise, VA
The contact number for each of these will be the Wise County Dispatch Office, reached by calling 276-328-3756.