Building & Zoning

Enforcement of the provisions of the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code (VaUSBC) shall be the responsibility of the local building department (Sec. 36-105 VAC). We currently enforce the 2015 VaUSBC for all buildings and structures, existing or new, in the towns of St. Paul, Coeburn, Pound, Wise, Appalachia, and the unincorporated areas of Wise County. (The City of Norton and Town of Big Stone Gap have their own Building and Zoning Departments.) It is our goal to ensure the life safety, health and property of the citizens of Wise County.

Your construction process begins and ends with the Building and Zoning Department, by issuance of the proper permits, required inspections during construction and finally by issuance of a Certificate of Occupancy, issued after completion of the final inspection when the building is in compliance with pertinent codes, laws and ordinances.

Required Inspections

It is your responsibility to call the building department when ready for an inspection. There are 7 minimum required inspections:

  1. Footer inspection (put in reinforcement steel) before concrete is poured.
  2. Temporary electrical service inspection.
  3. Reinforced concrete beams or columns and slabs.
  4. Rough-in for framing, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical.
  5. Required insulating materials before covering up.
  6. New electrical service inspection.
  7. Final inspection when job is completed / Certificate of Occupancy.

Unapproved Building

It shall be unlawful for any person to build, remodel or add to a structure with the proper building, electrical, plumbing and mechanical permits, as required by the code and it shall be unlawful for any person to supply electricity to a mobile home or mobile office, unless approved by electrical inspection.

No mobile home shall be delivered to or located upon a lot or parcel of real estate, where the mobile home will be used as a place of residence, until the necessary permit for connection to water and sewer outlets have been secured and a permit to set a mobile home is secured from the Building Official approving the specified site for placement.