The Wise County Board of Supervisors met in a Workshop meeting on Thursday, April 3, 2008 at 4:45 p.m. in the Board of Supervisors meeting room located in the Wise County courthouse. The following were present:
Honorable Robert R. Adkins – Chairman
Honorable Virginia Meador – Vice-Chair
Honorable Fred Luntsford
Honorable Ronald Shortt
Honorable Steve Bates
Honorable Robert E. Robbins
Honorable Dana Kilgore
Honorable J. H. Rivers – members of said Board and
Glen A. Skinner – County Administrator
Shannon C. Scott – Assistant County Administrator
Karen T. Mullins – County Attorney
Annette Underwood – Executive Secretary
Bob Adkins led in prayer.
All led in the pledge of allegiance to the flag.
IN RE: WELLMONT ONE MED-FLIGHT SERVICES
Chairman Adkins announced that Wellmont One Med-Flight services had been scheduled to be placed on the April agenda. Due to lack of sufficient information regarding this request, this item will be on the May agenda for consideration by the Board.
IN RE: AGENDA -- ADDITIONS / DELETIONS
The following items were reviewed for deletion/addition to the agenda:
- Under New Business: Delete Pound High School Senior Class Request for funds
- Add: “Gathering in the Gap” request for funds
IN RE: PUBLIC HEARING – BOND ISSUANCE BY WISE COUNTY
A public hearing was duly advertised for this date to receive citizens’ comments regarding the proposed issuance of bonds by Wise County for the purpose of financing certain capital improvements for school purposes and to pay the costs of issuing the bonds. The estimated maximum aggregate amount of the bonds is $7,472,500.
There being no public comments the public hearing was closed.
There was no one to speak during public expression.
IN RE: ROADS AND HIGHWAYS
There were no remarks by VDOT.
Board members provided needs in their districts for VDOT review.
IN RE: CONSENT AGENDA
The following items were reviewed under the consent agenda:
- Memorandum of Understanding on Lease Agreement with Ambrose Branch Coal Co.
- Resolution Deferred Comp Provider #3
- Proclamation-Child Abuse Prevention Month
- Appropriations 4th Quarter
- Set public hearing (May 1 @ 6:00 p.m.) on a proposed amendment to Central Absentee Election District Ordinance #1-1996
IN RE: OTHER ITEMS REVIEWED
- Resolution Supporting the Innovation Highway & Improvements to St. Rt. 646
- Resolution Authorizing the Issuance of School Bonds
- Trail of Lonesome Pine Drama Seating Replacement
- Digital Imaging Services for the LENOWISCO Health District
- Appropriation - $15,000 to the High Knob Tower
- Budget Amendments #72 thru #77
- Closed Session 2.2-3711(A)(1)
Supervisor Rivers noted that he had failed to recognize the work that the Salvation Army has done during the recent tornado in Big Stone Gap. He voiced his appreciation for all the help and cooperation that has been given by this organization.
Mr. Rivers said he had received a call regarding the crawl message on channel 19 which stated that the Board of Supervisors meetings would be removed from channel 19 and the only place the meetings would be viewed would be on web cast.
Jack Still, Media Director for Wise County, explained that the board meetings will continue on channel 19 (24-7) and can also be seen on the internet. The purpose of the crawl message was to inform the public that the board meetings can be seen on the internet but the channel programs would not be on the internet 24 hours a day; only board meetings and special events.
Supervisor Meador said she has received several calls on the crawl message also.
There being no further business the meeting adjourned at 5:10 p.m.
ATTEST: WISE COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
Glen A. Skinner, Clerk Robert R. Adkins, Chairman