The Wise County Board of Supervisors met in a Workshop meeting on Thursday, July 6, 2006 at 6:00 PM in the Pound Town Hall located in Pound, Virginia. The following were present:
Honorable Fred A Luntsford – Chairman
Honorable Ronnie Shortt – Vice-Chairman
Honorable Steve Bates
Honorable John W. Peace 11
Honorable Leland Branham, members of said Board and
Glen A. Skinner – County Administrator
Shannon C. Scott – Assistant County Administrator
Karen T. Mullins – County Attorney
Annette Underwood – Executive Secretary
Honorable Virginia Meador
Honorable Robert R. Adkins
Honorable Robert Robbins
T. G. Branson led in prayer.
All led in the pledge of allegiance to the flag.
IN RE: AGENDA ADDITIONS
Add to consent agenda
Budget amendments from FY 2005-06 budget
No. 105: Source of Revenue-Va. State Mental Health-Pass thru funds - $20,120.00
Expenditure (5201) Mental Health (505608) PD1 Mental Health-$20,120.00
No. 106: Source of Revenue-Prior years fund balance - $1,372.00
Expenditure (3302) Southwest Virginia Jail Authority
(505635) Contribution to Regional Jail - $1,372.00
Budget amendment from FY 2006-2007
No. 1: Source of Revenue – State Homeland Security Grant Funds - $95,854.00
Expenditure (3102) Sheriff-Law Enforcement (505409) Police Supplies-
Add to New Business
- Joint Policy for Production and programming for Wise TV
- Appointment to Lonesome Pine Youth Services Board
- Closed Session – Section 2.2-3711(A)(6) (Purchase of Property)
IN RE: LONESOME PINE OFFICE ON YOUTH UPDATE
Paul Kuczko, Director of the Lonesome Pine Office on Youth, provided the Board with an update on the activities, programs offered, and future goals of the LPOOY.
IN RE: PUBLIC HEARING – E-911 ROAD NAME
A public hearing was duly advertised for this date to receive citizens’ input regarding the addition of one (1) E-911 road name.
There being no one to speak, the public hearing was closed.
IN RE: PUBLIC EXPRESSION
Edgar Mullins, a resident of the Pound, brought before the Board several roads in the Pound area that need VDOT’s attention.
Charlene Green and Cathy Selvage, residents of the Stephens area, provided the Board with a draft of a proposed Noise Ordinance for Wise County. They asked that the Board review the ordinance and consider sending it out for public hearing.
Chairman Luntsford advised that Board members will review the ordinance for possible changes and copies will also be provided to those members not present at this meeting after which time consideration will be given for holding a public hearing.
Claude Steel addressed the Board with concern that his application has been on file in the County Administrator’s Office for approximately two years and he has not been contacted for work.
Chairman Luntsford advised that he would direct the County Administrator to pull his application for review.
There being no further comments, the public expression period was closed.
IN RE: ROADS AND HIGHWAYS
Highway Resident T. G. Branson gave a brief update on VDOT activities.
The following resolutions were reviewed:
Resolution for discontinuance of a section of Route 793 (Needmore area)
Resolution “Watch for Children” signs (Shawnee Avenue E. – BSG)
Resolution “Watch for Children” signs (Banner Mtn. Road – Sandy Ridge area)
IN RE: CONSENT AGENDA
The following items were reviewed:
- Set public hearing (6:00 PM-August 3) on a request from Shelcy Mullins, Jr. for change of Zoning
- Set public hearing (6:00 PM-August 3) on a proposed Certified Pollution Control Equipment and Facilities Exemption Ordinance
- Resolution Endorsing the Establishing of an Independent Policy Board for Southwest Virginia ASAP
- Resolution Establishing Membership of the Regional Policy Board of Southwest Virginia ASAP
- Increase in Mileage
- Appropriations First Quarter (July 13)
- Budget Amendments No. 103 – 104
IN RE: MOU – ANNUAL INDUSTRIAL DEVELOPMENT GRANT FOR WISE COUNTY IDA
This is a MOU between the County of Wise and the Wise County IDA with regard to the Annual Industrial Development Grant, which is part of an incentive program to attract and promote the development of industry within Wise County.
IN RE: OTHER ITEMS REVIEWED
- Additional funds for Wise County Policy and Management Board
- Proclamation – Memorial to Sam Gilbert
- Board comments – Board members voiced their appreciation to Mayor Gilliam and the Town Council for allowing the Board to meet in their council chamber.
There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 7:15 PM.
ATTEST: WISE COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
Glen A. Skinner, Clerk Fred A. Luntsford, Chairman